Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tuesday. Winter reading

I've been looking over my collection of books, and picking out ones to revisit this winter. I've also been thinking a lot lately. Probably too much. Heavy boots came to mind, so I decided to look up Jonathan Safran Foer quotes. Holy shit. So many good ones. Definitely spending some time with him this winter.

“What did thinking ever do for me, to what great place did thinking ever bring me? I think and think and think. I've thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it.

“I am not sad, he would repeat to himself over and over, I am not sad. As if he might one day convince himself. Or fool himself. Or convince others -- The only thing worse than being sad is for others to know that you are sad.”

“You are the only one who has understood even a whisper of me, and I will tell you that I am the only person who has understood even a whisper of you.”

"She was like a drowning person, flailing, reaching for anything that might save her. Her life was an urgent, desperate struggle to justify her life.”

"Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.”

"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.”

"Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future.”

All from here

No comments:

Post a Comment