Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thursday. Playlists

I've been listening to old playlists this week. I've made a few that have survived over the years; some were gifted as cd's and others I apparently made for specific times, like "reading" (so says the title). Listening to them is always kind of fun because I don't know what song is next, and when it plays, I'm sort of transported back, and I remember, oh, yeah, I thought that song would be good because of this reason, or I put this song next because it means this to me.

The last three songs on my "reading" playlist were repeated many times today. It's cold but bright out, and they just seemed to fit with the stillness.

This song changes my blood pressure. As soon as I hear the first sounds, I feel myself instantly calm. This is a real love song to me.



I was lucky enough to see Bill Callahan years ago when he came here as Smog. He's so awkward and wonderful. His voice resonates so much with me and his lyrics are like weird poems. Thinking of an actual teenage spaceship, awkwardly flying around, makes me smile. There's a line in the song - "I was beautiful with all my lights, loomed so large on the horizon, so large, people thought my windows were stars," and I think it's really beautiful.



I love me some Sufjan, especially his early stuff, like Seven Swans. Just him and a guitar and some minimal accompaniment is so so good. His music, especially his acoustic stuff, makes me want to go to a cabin in the winter and curl up and just look outside.



For good measure (this song is on the playlist but not part of the final three), here's one of my most favorite songs of all time. Talk about swoon worthy, dear goodness this is near perfect. I want this song at my wedding, my funeral, and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment